Pediatric Weight Management
We are excited to offer a comprehensive, one of a kind Pediatric weight management and maintenance program for children and adolescents. Dr. Samer Kafelghazal, MD, is a pediatrician specializing in weight loss in children and adolescents with 20 years of experience in weight management and working with the kids and their family.
Pediatric obesity has reached an epidemic level. Currently, almost 25% of American children are obese.
Our pediatric weight management program works by creating a partnership between our medical team, parents, children and their schools. Parents are the single most important influence on the eating and activity habits that their children develop, so we spend a significant amount of time on educating children and their caregivers. Our goal is long term success through consistency in the nutrition and activity levels of the children in the household.
In our pediatric weight management program we believe in helping children reach a healthy weight while teaching them how to stay healthy and fit for the rest of their life. We pride ourselves in making the process fun and interactive! One of our goals is that children look forward to their visits to our center and feel that their success is being rewarded. Our comprehensive program includes education, physical activities, medical care and behavioral counseling. We have a unique center specially designed with children and teens in mind. This includes:
- Educating parents and children to build their knowledge about healthy food and appropriate portion sizes
- Learning about interactive computer games that the whole family can use, which is proven to improve outcomes
- Educating children and parents about types of fun and easy physical activity,
The concept of using interactive games is called “exergaming“. Research has shown that children who participate in this type of exercise are able to burn more calories per minutes and improve their overall activity level.
Visits to our clinic are usually bi-weekly or monthly and we accept most insurance plans. We are committed to helping you and your child lead healthy, active lives when you join our pediatric weight management program.
What are some of the strategies that you can use right now at home to help your child achieve a healthy weight?
- Limit sugar-sweetened beverages
- Consume the recommended fruits and vegetables
- Eat daily breakfast
- Limit fast food
- Use appropriate portion size
- Eat meals together as a family
- Limit television and screen time and keep televisions out of children’s bedrooms
- Encourage moderately vigorous physical activity of 60 minutes a day or more.
5210–Count Down to Good Health
- 5 Servings of Vegetables and Fruits Daily
- 2 No more than 2 hours of screen time: TV, Computer, and video games
- 1 At least 1 hour of physical activity every day: “Break a Sweat” time
- 0 No sugar sweetened drinks: drink water, low fat milk or 100% fruit juice
To calculate your child’s BMI and find out how much activity they need;
To learn more about portion size, menu planning and play educational games about nutrition;
For healthy eating and activity calculator;
To learn healthy weight basics;
To learn how to eat right;
To learn how to be active with your kids;
To learn how to reduce screen time;
To play fun educational nutrition games please visit;